Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Flashback

I had one of those moments today, which I call a flashback. You know...one of those moments, when, just for a minute, you are transported back in time. Back...before he died.

I had opened a piece of mail, which turned out to be an invitation of sorts. Then...just for a second...I felt a thrill of excitement. I turned to run and tell him about the invitation. Almost simultaneously, I realized he was not here, and there was no one, with which to share my short-lived joy.

It would have been an easy time for a good cry, but I decided--not today.

2 comments:

  1. Just popping on your blog now (August), but saw this post. Your new normal title is so appropriate. I lost my step-dad 3 years ago this summer and we were very close. My Mom calls it her new normal, too. She attended a grief support group for a few years which really helped. Things like what you talk about with the invitation must really throw you off at times. I am so sorry about your loss. Blessings, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, I am sorry that I just today found your comment. I appreciate your thoughts and expression of condolence. Isn't it difficult to live our lives without the loved one we miss so much. As in your relationship with your step-dad, my adult daughters miss their dad very much. I'm sorry he is no longer with you.

    ReplyDelete