Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Going Forward

Life has been moving right along, and I'm now a widow of almost 3 years--specifically: 2 years and 22 months. Mine was a traditional marriage. I was in charge of the household and my husband was in charge of the outdoor space and everything mechanical and technological. He was the fixer.

Today, I met with Mike, the propane man. He installed new regulators for me, as now required by law to be replaced every 15 years. He showed me where the emergency cut-off was located and how to turn it off. I didn't know there was an emergency shut-off, so I feel more in control now. These are things I need to know in my new normal.

My biggest accomplishment, however, was in asking him for information about installing an additional, hot water heater--gas. I recently went to Lowe's and was told that they would not install a new one, unless it replaced an old one--something about liability. Mike looked things over and told me that he could install the new, gas hot water heater. He wrote down information, as he examined the area, where I plan to add the gas hot water heater. I will get a call, soon, to give me a bid on the cost.

I am so relieved that I was able to do this task without making myself sick with worry. I guess I've finally adjusted to the new normal of being a widow who is confident and able to go forward into new territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment